Fun Facts About Smiles
Did you know?
1) Research has shown that of all the seven basic emotions, happiness is the easiest expression to recognize, even across cultures.
2) There are many different types of happiness including elation, euphoria, excitement, and amusement. However, research has shown that these enjoyable emotions are all expressed on the face the same way: by the Duchenne Smile. A Duchenne Smile occurs when the lip corners move up and the muscle around the eyes moves as well. Oftentimes you see wrinkles around a person’s eyes. This is often described as a “twinkling” or “sparkling” in the eyes.
3) Research has also shown that forcing yourself to smile can improve your mood.
4) Not only that, your smile may be a predictor of how long you’ll live and a simple smile has a measurable effect on your overall well being!
5) There are other positive effects of smiling. Some research has suggested that smiling makes you more attractive. In other research, smiling has been proven to help build rapport and create positive relationships with others.
Think you can tell the difference between an enjoyment smile and a social smile? Put yourself to the test with Humintell’s Smile Game!